Sit behind the console with one of the world's greatest audio engineers!
TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik is proud to announce we are co-sponsoring the next Geoff Emerick Masterclass at Power Staion New England October 15th-17th. Learn more about the event here.
Overview of the 3 Day workshop
Day 1: Setup/Recording Drums and Bass
• The students will learn from Geoff the different techniques on mic’ing up a drum kit, eq’ing, compression, etc.
• Bass will also be set up and recorded during this day. Students will experience first hand how to work with a full band in a live tracking situation.
• At the end of the day, Geoff will share a few Beatles stories including some regarding live tracking/drum tracking.
Day 2: Overdub Day/Guitar/Keyboards tracking day
• The students will learn the different ways of tracking guitars and extra instruments to finish the production of a song.
• Geoff will talk to the students about the different gear used for recording The Beatles including guitars and legendary keyboards like the Mellotron.
• Vocal tracking/Background vocals/extra overdubs
• The students will learn the importance of songwriting, song structure, dealing with singers and capturing the best performance.
• At this point, we will bring song writing with the band into the class, knowing that this is one of the most important elements to be considered. One great song can make a career.
• The assistant engineer will talk about the importance of editing the tracks for modern production and how to prepare tracks for mixing. (drum editing/vocal tuning etc.)
Day 3: Mixing
• The students will learn the importance of critical listening, monitoring in a great environment, choosing compression, applying eq, and mix bus treatment.
• At the end of the night, Geoff shares some mixing experiences and share which are some of his favorites too.
About Power Station New England
Power Station NE, located in Waterford, CT, was founded in 1995, based on the exact design and acoustics of the original Power Station in New York City.
At the center of Power Station New England is the refurbished main recording space with signature 35-foot dome, plus four isolation spaces and the historic control room, which now features a vintage Neve 8068 MkII console. The console was restored to its original 1979 glory by Vintage King Audio and console legend Ed Evans, who worked at the original Power Station in NYC. The Neve console was originally installed at Electric Lady Studio in NYC in 1979, and most recently at Pachyderm Studios in Minnesota. The console played a role in historic recordings by such artists as John Lennon, AC/DC, Van Halen, and Nirvana.
Power Station New England is located within the Sonalysts, Inc. media center, which houses five full production stages suitable for large scale concert rehearsal and multi-camera video production. Full crews, HD cameras and post-production is available onsite. The largest of five shooting stages is 15,000 sq. ft. with a 42’ ceiling.
Power Station NE is located directly between New York City and Boston, in scenic southeastern Connecticut. intersected by two major interstate highways and less than 5 miles from the Long Island Sound.